By now, you’ve likely stocked up on more than your share of moto jackets in various shades and styles. After all, they’re the easiest way to inject an instant dose of style to almost any look with minimal effort, whether you’re rocking a maxi dress or a casual jean-and-tee combo. Last spring, colorful takes on the faux leather moto had a major moment — from cheery pastels to flattering jewel tones — and this time around, it seems to be all about the florals! Nothing says spring like a good feminine floral print, and I love the way the bad-ass biker babe vibe contrasts with the traditionally feminine print to put a fresh spin on the tried-and-true trend. It’s the perfect example of hard and soft, and naughty meets nice. Check out some of my favorites in the links below!
SXSW is a sea of beards, beanies and flannel. For those planning on attending the annual music, film and interactive conference and festival held in Austin, TX, you’ll want to make sure you are the ultimate hipster when you hit the scene. Check out the hipster guide below to help you survive SXSW.
- What to Wear:
o Bottoms: Skinny jeans are a part of every hipster’s wardrobe, so make sure you have a pair—if it doesn’t take a little effort to put them on, they’re probably not skinny enough. For girls, high waisted shorts and patterned tights are other solid options for maintaining a hipster look.
o Shirts: A deep V-Neck t-shirt is a hipster staple. For a more personalized style, adding some personal flare like studs or acid wash to a denim shirt will keep you looking unique, as a true hipster should. Adding a plaid shirt to whatever you’re wearing is another easy way to give your look an indie feel and you can’t wrong with a classic cardigan, as long it looks like something your grandparents would wear.
o Accessories: Hipsters love to accessorize with hats, so make sure to add a beanie, cycling cap or fedora to your outfit. Additionally, whether or not you actually need glasses, you’ll want to add them to your ensemble. Make sure they are thick and dark rimmed or for sunglasses, go with some classic Wayfarers.
- What to Bring: While looking like a hipster is important, there are several things you should bring with you in order to play the part of a true hipster. First, it is rare to find a hipster without coffee, so bring a portable French press along so you are never without it—and be sure drink if from a Mason jar. Hipsters love anything vintage, so take pictures of your time at SXSW with an old-fashioned Polaroid camera. They’re also connoisseurs of anything eco-friendly, so ditch the car and get around with a bicycle—the more vintage, the better. For guys, maintaining a mustache is crucial to keeping your hipster style, so it is a good idea to have a mustache trimmer handy. And finally, it is a hipster standard to know every song—especially at a music festival like SXSW—so having a music-recognizing app like Shazam is good way to make sure you stay in the know before anyone else.
Credit: Ryland Peters
- So you think you’re a Hipster?: For a full guide on how to be the best hipster, check out the book “So You Think You’re a Hipster”, with 50 insightful entries about the urban elite.
Need some extra motivation to stick with your fitness goals in the New Year? The waterproof Nike+FuelBand is worn on your wrist to measure all of your movements. It tracks the intensity of your workouts, tracks steps, tells time and even tracks your sleep and displays your progress in real time. With Nike+ Groups you can challenge your friends and motivate each other. The FuelBand uses bluetooth to pair with your smartphone and features an ambient light sensor that detects environmental light levels and adjusts the brightness on the LED display accordingly. Two lithium polymer batteries are charged via the included charging cable and will last up to four days between charges. The band also comes with two easy to insert links and a sizing tool for a custom fit. The Nike+ FuelBand is a great tool to keep you on track with your 2014 health and fitness resolutions.
If you are like us, chances are you’ve most likely made memories you’ll want to keep for a lifetime. What better way to remember these good times than recording them? Below we’ve listed some of the best camcorders available so you can keep the memories alive:
- Canon Legria HF R46: The Canon Legria HF R46 comes equipped with a wide variety of shooting modes, 54x advanced zoom and a high-resolution touchscreen. With other handy features such as a Baby Mode that allows users to add dates to milestone moments, Wi-Fi connectivity that makes sharing content easy and simultaneous recording in mp4 and avchd formats, the camcorder will not disappoint.
- Panasonic HX-DC3: For a small and portable camcorder, the Panasonic HX-DC3 stands out. The camcorder weighs just 162 grams and offers full HD recording, a variety of shooting modes and supports 5x optical zoom. The pint-sized camcorder ensures clear images, with still shots snapped at 16 megapixels and an Active Image Stabilizer that prevents shaky videos.
- Canon Legria HF G30: Designed with more experienced video recorders mind, the Canon Legria HF G30 is sure to meet the needs of a pro. The camera has an 8 blade circular aperture, 26.8mm wide-angle lens and 20x zoom. It allows videos to be recorded in multiple formats at the same and comes with a fold out, tiltable OLED touchscreen and intelligent image stabilization.
- Sony HDR MV1: For recording music concerts, the Sony HDR MV1’s design and functionality is excellent. It comes with a 3D mic that is great for capturing sound and its 1080p footage comes out shining even in less-than-perfect conditions. The camcorder also has NFC and Wi-Fi connection capability, so sharing is easy.
Spring is almost here! Check out the tools below we spotted on Woman’s Day for tips on how you can easily de-clutter and organize your home.
Credit: Woman’s Day
- Space-Saving Bags: While you’ve probably seen commercials for these over the years, space-saving bags are actually pretty useful. Once you vacuum out the air they contain, they take up much less room, making them great for storing seasonal clothing or linens.
- Adhesive Hooks: These handy hooks provide a quick and temporary way to create hanging spaces without hammering a nail. They can be useful in a variety of ways such as organizing pot lids inside cabinets or hanging jackets and purses inside closets.
- Clear Stackable Boxes: These versatile plastic boxes can serve as organizational gems from the pantry to linen closet. You can even use them to corral smaller items such as snack bars or extra soap. We especially like the ability to see everything stored in each box.
- Divided Storage Boxes: For a more eye-catching way to store your items, consider fabric-covered, divided storage boxes. They are pretty enough to display in your home while the dividers and nesting pieces are perfect for keeping you organized.
- Plastic Mesh Storage Baskets: To keep from wasting space in cabinets, plastic mesh storage baskets are ideal. Use them to pull forward items in the back crevices of cabinets — plus the handles make them easy to grip.
- Felted Hangers: Keep your closet organized with felt hangers. They will take up less space in your closet than regular hangers and the felt keeps silky fabrics from sliding off and cluttering your floor.
- Shoe-Rack Hanger: Keep shoes off the floor with an over-the-door shoe rack. This handy storage device will provide easy access to shoes while making your closet look nice and tidy.
- Over-Toilet Cabinets: For tiny and cluttered bathrooms, over-the-toilet cabinets are an excellent way to add storage without taking up space.
In honor of Dr. Seuss’s birthday on March 2, we’ve highlighted some insider tips to help you and your kiddos get in the Dr. Seuss spirit.
- Green Eggs and Ham: Start the day with a Dr. Seuss inspired green eggs and ham breakfast. Forget the green food coloring in scrambled eggs – try this yummy and healthy from the Food Network.
- Books & Movies: Read some of the classic Dr. Seuss books with your kids, as that is what Dr. Seuss was all about. For another relaxing way to get your Dr. Seuss fill, watch a Dr. Seuss movie like The Lorax or Horton Hears a Who.
- Crafts: Get the creative juices flowing and make Dr. Seuss-themed crafts. We liked these Cat in the Hat masks that are fun and easy to make. Simply cut a hole in the center of a paper plate and color the rest of the paper plate with black markers. Then, cut a bow out of red construction paper, whiskers and cat ears from black construction paper and cut out the shape of the hat from white construction paper, coloring in the red stripes. Tape or glue all the pieces to the plate and add a Popsicle stick to the inside of the plate at the very bottom and you’ve got a Cat in the Hat mask perfect for celebrating Dr. Seuss.
Credit: Nordic Ware
There’s an interesting history behind the Bundt pan. A Bundt pan is a style of mold that was popularized in the 1950′s and 1960′s by Nordic Ware who tried to trademark the “Bundt” name. It was rejected by the U.S. Trademark office who deemed it a “generic” term. Bundt pans are typically used to make cakes and are characterized by their fluted style with a tube in the center which leaves a hole in the center of the cake. Interestingly, Nordic Ware corners the market on aluminum Bundt pans despite the lack of trademark. Bundt pans come in a variety of styles from traditional to intricate. The bundt cakes are typically dusted with powdered sugar or drizzled with glaze and a great for all occasions! We love the Rose Bundt pan for wedding or baby showers and the castle bundt pan for summer and beach themed parties. Which Bundt pan is your favorite?
News flash — it’s not too late throw a stellar Oscar party at home. Using E! Online’s Oscar Party Guide, you’re sure to hit the mark and wow your guests, even on short notice.
Photo credit Deadline
Check out all the details on their 7 must-haves for your at-home Oscars watch bash from famed planner Mindy Weiss and let us help you while shopping on-the-go to locate all of your party essentials at stores nearby.
Here are some of our favorites from E!’s list of goodies:
Create the red carpet look in your living room where guests to pose for photos and be featured next to Hollywood-themed decor.
Photo credit Baileys
It’s Mom’s Night Out and you probably can’t wait to ditch that bulky cumbersome diaper bag for something a little more stylish and lightweight. It’s amazing how little you need when you leave the house sans kids. The Jennifer Lopez Zoe Multichain Wristlet from Kohl’s is just what every mom needs to carry her essentials for those rare nights out. Available in 3 colors (black, white and blush) it’s a great accessory for any outfit. It features a silver multichain band accent with a magnetic closure. The inside has a small zippered pocket and the lined interior is just the right size to carry your keys, phone, credit cards and ID, plus lipstick for on-the-go touchups. It has a detachable wrist strap that takes it from wristlet to clutch in an instant. You’ll be one hot mama carrying this stylish bag out on the town. It retails for around $70.