Mother’s Day will be here before we know it. If you’re running low on unique gift ideas, consider a DIY project that will show mom your appreciation with an extra dose of sentimental value.
Credit the NEXT FAMILY
– Breakfast in Bed: Making sure your mom gets to relax in the morning is a perfect way to start off the day and breakfast in bed is a classic staple. First step, decide if you are preparing a decadent meal like BBC Good Food’s smoked salmon benedict with mimosas or a lighter meal like homemade juice, fruit salad and a veggie omelet courtesy of Martha Stewart’s perfect omelet recipe. Next task, make sure you have all the ingredients you need and stock up on anything you may be missing. On Mother’s Day, wake up early, prepare breakfast and serve it on a breakfast tray so your mom can eat and enjoy comfortably. For an extra special touch, place a few freshly cut flowers along with a small family photo on the breakfast tray.
– Spa Day: Treat mom to some rest, relaxation and TLC with a DIY spa day. It’s important to prepare all of your spa treatments before the big day to keep things stress-free. After breakfast, set up a spa station complete with lavender soy candles and spa music in your living room or even on the patio if the weather permits. Consider pampering mom with the following gifts:
- Homemade Body Scrub – Soak mom’s feet in a large tub or foot spa and have her use this homemade body scrub from Martha Stewart’s list. To create the invigorating scrub, combine one cup of body oil with two cups of Epsom, sea salts or organic cane sugar. Add desired amount of lemon zest for color and fragrance, place in a container, label and use.
- Homemade Brightening Face Mask – In a bowl, combine two tablespoons of sour cream, two tablespoons of honey and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar or lemon juice. Apply on clean face and let sit for twenty minutes. Rinse with lukewarm water followed by a splash of cool water. We recommend making this around the time of use to keep it as fresh as possible.
- DIY Cooling Coconut Body Lotion – All you need for this luscious body lotion is coconut oil, aloe vera gel, essential oils and a container with a lid. Whip the coconut oil until solid (you can also refrigerate to help solidify) and then mix it with an electric beater for 6-9 minutes or until fluffy. Next, add a few drops of your favorite essential oils (think lavender, rose etc.) and a tablespoon or more of aloe vera gel. Place in your container, label appropriately and voila.
– Movie Night: Spend some bonding time together with a stay-in movie night. Rather than buying a new movie, consider watching your mom’s favorite flick. You can also get creative and place handmade “movie tickets” in your Mother’s Day card. Don’t forget to have treats such as popcorn, cookies and her favorite candy on-hand.
– DIY Vases & Planters: We love the idea of recycling old fashioned glass bottles and cans by turning them into vases and planters. Try the following:
- Bottle Vase: Collect a few glass bottles of your choice, wash them inside and out and let dry. Use a fast-drying spray paint of your color choice and apply directly to bottle, coating evenly. Don’t forget to spray paint the bottom of your bottles when they are ready to be dried upside down. Helpful tip: Insert a sturdy stick into the mouth of the bottle to allow the underside to dry.
- Can Planter: Using a hammer and nail, poke a few holes in the bottom of your selected recycled cans. Use acrylic paint or fast-drying spray paint (we vote for a few fun, vibrant colors) to cover them evenly on all sides. Once you’ve allowed the cans to dry completely, place your flower seeds or seedlings in the new planter with some soil and water as needed. Be careful of where you place your cans, as the holes will allow excess water to drip out.
– Coupon Book: If you are still stumped on what to give mom this Mother’s Day, we recommend going with an “I Owe You” coupon book. You can create custom coupons for chores, favors and treats that your mom can redeem at a later time. She will get a kick out of the various freebies promised and you will feel good helping her when she needs an extra hand.