By now, you’ve likely stocked up on more than your share of moto jackets in various shades and styles. After all, they’re the easiest way to inject an instant dose of style to almost any look with minimal effort, whether you’re rocking a maxi dress or a casual jean-and-tee combo. Last spring, colorful takes on the faux leather moto had a major moment — from cheery pastels to flattering jewel tones — and this time around, it seems to be all about the florals! Nothing says spring like a good feminine floral print, and I love the way the bad-ass biker babe vibe contrasts with the traditionally feminine print to put a fresh spin on the tried-and-true trend. It’s the perfect example of hard and soft, and naughty meets nice. Check out some of my favorites in the links below!
SXSW is a sea of beards, beanies and flannel. For those planning on attending the annual music, film and interactive conference and festival held in Austin, TX, you’ll want to make sure you are the ultimate hipster when you hit the scene. Check out the hipster guide below to help you survive SXSW.
- What to Wear:
o Bottoms: Skinny jeans are a part of every hipster’s wardrobe, so make sure you have a pair—if it doesn’t take a little effort to put them on, they’re probably not skinny enough. For girls, high waisted shorts and patterned tights are other solid options for maintaining a hipster look.
o Shirts: A deep V-Neck t-shirt is a hipster staple. For a more personalized style, adding some personal flare like studs or acid wash to a denim shirt will keep you looking unique, as a true hipster should. Adding a plaid shirt to whatever you’re wearing is another easy way to give your look an indie feel and you can’t wrong with a classic cardigan, as long it looks like something your grandparents would wear.
o Accessories: Hipsters love to accessorize with hats, so make sure to add a beanie, cycling cap or fedora to your outfit. Additionally, whether or not you actually need glasses, you’ll want to add them to your ensemble. Make sure they are thick and dark rimmed or for sunglasses, go with some classic Wayfarers.
- What to Bring: While looking like a hipster is important, there are several things you should bring with you in order to play the part of a true hipster. First, it is rare to find a hipster without coffee, so bring a portable French press along so you are never without it—and be sure drink if from a Mason jar. Hipsters love anything vintage, so take pictures of your time at SXSW with an old-fashioned Polaroid camera. They’re also connoisseurs of anything eco-friendly, so ditch the car and get around with a bicycle—the more vintage, the better. For guys, maintaining a mustache is crucial to keeping your hipster style, so it is a good idea to have a mustache trimmer handy. And finally, it is a hipster standard to know every song—especially at a music festival like SXSW—so having a music-recognizing app like Shazam is good way to make sure you stay in the know before anyone else.
Credit: Ryland Peters
- So you think you’re a Hipster?: For a full guide on how to be the best hipster, check out the book “So You Think You’re a Hipster”, with 50 insightful entries about the urban elite.
Credit: Alex Gambardella
Flannel: it’s not only for lumberjacks. In fact, in recent years, the warm woven fabric has become a staple of casual-cool style. And this winter, it’s cropping up on more than your classic button-down shirt – flannel has been sneaking its way onto bags, jackets, pants and even shoes – making it easier than ever to stay warm while still maintaining that laid-back, comfy-meets-cool balance that’s essential for surviving winter in style. And it doesn’t stop at your traditional tartan or plaid – flannel goes flirty and floral and even moto-inspired with leather details and unexpected prints that upgrade the look for 2014. Check out some of my favorite cozy flannel pieces in the links below!
Pictured above: Shellys London Vikova Oxford Flats, Sea Baby Flannel Moto Jacket, UNIQLO Flannel Floral Print Long Sleeve Shirt, Vi Vi Vee Across-Body Bag, and Boy. by Band of Outsiders Flannel High Waisted Pants.
When the weather starts turning from bitter cold to mild and warm, it tends to put a spring in everyone’s step. Kids can’t wait to get outside to play! Time to shed the clunky winter boots for some adorable shoes from Umi Kids. They’ve got a great line up of spring shoes for girls. Here are a few of our favorites:
Celia II— Available is a variety of colors this classic sandal will remind you of the ones you wore in your own childhood. With a Velcro closure that looks like a buckle these sandals are not only comfortable but easy for your little one to put on and take off on her own so she can be independent.
Roxanna B — This trendy sandal will make her feel like a glamorous gladiator. Featuring lacy laser-cut uppers and a contrasting zipper at the back of the ankle, these stylish sandals are available is several metallic colors. She’ll love the peep toe so she can show off her polished toes!
Credit Umi Shoes
Vena — For your active child: This style of sandal is a little more athletic for lot of running, jumping and adventures!
Credit Umi Shoes
Vianne —Stylish & girlie yet comfortable and practical, these slip on flats look great with everything from jeans to dresses and are available in 4 colors.
Whichever style you chose, those little feet will be be ready with a little extra skip in their step!
With spring around the corner, it’s time to start sprucing up your wardrobe with the latest fashion trends. To help you out, we’ve looked to the fashion experts at Glamour for some of the most wearable trends for spring, straight off the runway.
- Pastels: This trend is exciting because of how flexible it is to your own taste. However pastel-happy you want to get, you can pick your most flattering pastel color and wear it with whatever cut looks best on you.
- Boxy, Cropped Jackets: The boxy, cropped silhouette jacket can come in a wide variety of prints and textures. The versatile look is easy to pair with a fit-and-flare or body-con dress, skirts or jeans.
- Contrast-Collar Button-Downs: The button-down dress shirt combined with a contrasting color or textured collars and cuffs is an inventively cool new take on this classic style. This menswear-inspired dress shirt is perfect for spicing up your work outfit.
- Wide-Leg Trousers: These billowy wide-leg trousers are easy to wear, yet still keep you looking ultra-chic. If you want to elongate your frame, be sure to look for a pair that’s leaner on the flare and higher-wasted.
- Tea-Length Skirts: The tea-length skirt—which falls in-between a midi and maxi length—is a trendy look this spring. The ladylike hemline can be just as modern as a mini skirt. We recommend pairing it with a cropped top to offset the length for a flattering look.
Though the Ralph Lauren designed outfit for Team USA is just for Olympians, there are plenty of Olympic-themed apparel available for the rest of us. Check out some of the favorites we spotted on Men’s Health below:
Credit: Men’s Health
- Beanie: Burton, the makers of our very own U.S. Olympic Snowboarding Team Uniforms, has many cozy beanie options in their street style collections. This ribbed beanie looks just like the cap the snowboarders will be wearing.
- Sneakers: The official sponsor of Team USA in the 2014 winter Olympics, Nike, has released some creative new designs for their athletes. Purchase your own pair of Nike’s Olympic-inspired shoes, the lime and black patriotic Nike Flyknit Trainer Chukka FSBs sure to leave you feeling like an Olympian all year long.
- Ralph Lauren Scarf: Though the outfits designed by Ralph Lauren are just for the athletes, Ralph Lauren offers a Team USA scarf for those of us who still want to deck out in USA gear. The scarf is the perfect way to accessorize your Olympic look.
- Waterproof Jacket: The official sponsor of the U.S., Russia and Canada freestyle ski teams, Columbia, offers a perfect jacket for battling a freezing winter. The Wildcard III Jacket is waterproof and durable, while capturing the essence of the Olympic games.
At a loss for how to wear your makeup this Valentine’s Day? We suggest using the day to experiment with bolder, brighter makeup. See below for tips on how to achieve a flattering Valentine’s Day look for whatever the day has in store for you.
- Casual: If you’re planning on having a laid back and relaxing day, go for a cute and put-together makeup look. Simply apply black mascara, a red lip stain and a bright, pink-toned blush for a simple but still flattering Valentine’s Day look.
- Out and About: If you’re going to spend the day out and about and want to dress up a little more, add on to the style above by applying full foundation and highlighter on the cheekbones. For a warm, glowing finishing touch, try adding a haze of bronze around the lash lines.
- Dramatic: For those that want to go all out for a special and romantic evening, top off the above look by applying half-lash strips to your eyelashes and a black liner on top to conceal the lash bands. For an even bolder appearance, go with a full-on red lip stick.
Whether you’re planning on having a romantic date with your significant other or an adventurous trip– we’ve looked to Babble to help you find the perfect outfit, for however you choose to spend the day.
- Sleek: If you’re going out on the town, we suggest something fuss-free with clean and simple lines. A dark red color will make you look glamorous and this body-conscious color is sure to focus all of your date’s attention on you.
- Casual: If you’re planning on being a little more adventurous this Valentine’s Day, skip the dress. Try pants with a flower pattern or a red shade to still give you a cute and romantic style, while keeping you comfortable enough for whatever adventures you might go on.
- Edgy and Soft: If being super girly is not your thing, we suggest trying something that still has a feminine feel to it, such as a dress with a floral pattern or lace, but pairing it with edgy accessories such as a leather jacket or studded boots. This combination will keep you looking feminine, without being too girly.
Photo Credit: Teen Vogue
“Four-eyed” fashionistas go nuts for Warby Parker’s budget-friendly “Try Before You Buy” model (if only all online shopping was that easy!), and now the eyewear brand is upgrading its style with a little help from a fashionable friend! Leith Clark, famed fashion editor and stylist to the stars, is lending her retro-modern style to a sweet capsule collection for Warby Parker. Taking inspiration from the sexy ’60s librarian look, the quirky collection includes five different frames that are available in both optical and sunwear versions. Think vintage-inspired circle frames and classic cat-eye styles galore, as well as fun and feminine prints that are perfect for making a serious eyewear statement. Plus, in true Warby Parker fashion, each pair sold means another pair donated to someone in need. Part naughty, part nice, and 100% stylish – you don’t want to miss out on the Leith x Warby Parker collection before it gets sold out!
Finding a good pair of jeans can be a tedious and frustrating process. Below, we’ve listed some of our favorite and most flattering styles to help ease the process.
- Jeggings: For jeans that are super comfy but still provide a sleek look, jeggings are the perfect solution. Pairing them with a loose top and flat, rugged footwear will create a flattering, leg-slimming look.
- Boyfriend: The looser fit of boyfriend style jeans are a great casual look, but make sure to avoid a baggy butt by looking for a cut with a slimmer leg and fitted hips. Pairing them with a bit of sparkle will give you a pretty and confident look that is not at all grungy.
- Classic: The classic straight-leg, dark blue wash jeans will never go out of style and will make your legs appear longer and leaner. Whatever you pair them with, this timeless style will make you look fashionably chic.
- Trouser: A dark, sleek trouser style jean is great for going from work to dinner. The cut will streamline you from waist to ankle and looks as polished as black pants, but way more fun.
- Casual: For a casual but still flattering look, slightly faded jeans with a skinny leg and a bit of stretch are ideal. The cut is sure to give you a lean shape to help you look good, while also keeping you comfortable.